Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Aurameer

It's Back-to-School Week for the local public school system. Teachers actually started last week, and the students returned this week.

Having left the school system 3 years ago, I can't help but feel strange at this time of year. I miss the crazy back-to-school frenzy of getting the art room ready, and the anticipation of a brand new academic year. The art teachers in my Facebook circle of friends are posting all sorts of glorious photos of their inspired classrooms, which makes me quite nostalgic, yet I am so relieved that I am free to enjoy the start of my son's and daughter's school year without being totally preoccupied with my classroom preparations and lesson planning.

This year I am especially glad to be free of the public school system's schedule. I got to attend my cousin's wedding in Texas at the very end of July, and host my niece for a sleep-over and Arty Party last week.  My kids are not in school yet; Joseph's school doesn't start until next week, and Caroline doesn't begin classes until the end of August, though I will be driving her to her new home in Cleveland next week for her to settle into her dorm. (!!!!!!!!) I don't even know where to begin writing about that. My first born is leaving the nest . . . I am so proud and so excited for her! I'm sure I'll have more to say later. It's still too overwhelming for me to dwell on it in writing right now.

This week we have my oldest nephew visiting--he is Joseph's age (16) and the two of them are very close despite the fact that they only get to see each other a few times a year.  It's a wonderful and unprecedented experience having him here to hang out with us for a week! I love it! 

This week's Diva Challenge, #279, is a Duotangle Challenge featuring auraknot and meer--two of my favorites! Here's what I came up with on Monday. I've been so busy, it took me a couple of days to make time to finish a post so I could share them!

Hmmm...not the best photo! I will replace it with a scan of the tile when I get a chance...

Here is is pre-shading.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Love your feathery Meer. 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed a Meer like feathers; well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very nice tile with beautiful shadows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your take on this Challenge and the sunburst effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a dramatic piece and your shading really makes it amazingly dimensional. Beautiful tile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely tangle and the shading added so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done, and I love the curved lines in Meer!

    ReplyDelete