Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sanibelle from Amy-'chele

First, I'd like to thank everyone who posted a comment on last week's entry (the infamous Non-Dominant Hand Challenge!) or took the time to check out Caroline's Moebius tangle and leave a note for her. It really is so exciting to get feedback! Keep those comments coming, if you see or read something you like on my blog. :-)

Next, I have to share some FANTASTIC news: Laura Harms, aka THE Diva of "I am the Diva--Certified Zentangle Teacher"  fame has had her blog officially recognized as the #1 Most Fascinating Blog of 2011 in the Teaching Blog category.

YAY, Laura! Of course  this honor should be yours...who else even comes close to having such a rockin' blog that draws people in from around the globe so we can all learn from each other?! How I admire and appreciate you for what you have done.

HONK if you are here reading Tanglefish because of a link on the Diva's website!

And speaking of the Diva, this week's challenge (#57) is the first of the "Use My Tangle!!" (UMT) challenges. The first week of each month a random number generator will select a reader's tangle (submitted to an official "Use My Tangle!!" list) to be the featured tangle. This week: Sanibelle by Tricia Faraone, CZT (http://tanglewithme-tricialee.blogspot.com/).

Prior to last week, I had never used Sanibelle. I think it's a beautiful tangle, and I absolutely love it in other people's Zentangle designs. But I was afraid that I wouldn't do it justice, so it was one of those tangles that I looked forward to practicing before I really used it. Last week, I tried it in one of my Tangle-A-Day Calendar squares, but I did not have the official directions handy, and it didn't quite turn out as well as I'd hoped. So when the Diva announced that this week's challenge was to incorporate Sanibelle, I was excited to have a reason to focus on it in my own work and a venue to see Sanibelle featured in tiles by so many other tanglers.

Featured tangles: Inapod, Chainging, Tipple, and Sanibelle.
Here's my first entry for this challenge:

Before I began, I listed all the tangles that I feel have an oceanic "vibe." I quickly came up with almost thirty! I figured any of them would work well with Sanibelle, so I chose just a few.

Inapod is a tangle by Carole Ohl. It is featured in an illustration in her Tangle-A-Day Calendar right next to the square in which I drew my first attempt of Sanibelle, so it's no coincidence that I associate those two tangles with each other. This is the first time I have used Inapod.

Punzel and Tipple are official Zentangle tangles.

For all of the line work I used an old 01 Micron that produces an ultra-thin line now. For filling in the Punzel negative spaces, I employed my new 04 Pigma Sensei. All of the shading was done with my gold-capped Zentangle® special pencil.

About my title, Sanibelle from Amy-'chele: my middle name is Michele. One of my mom's pet names for me is Amy-'chele, or Amy-shell. Or A-Michele. It all works! And I've always loved that my nickname reminds me of seashells, a natural form that has always inspired and delighted me throughout my life.

17 comments:

  1. Very lovely tangle, nice selection of tangles. Not sure why but what comes to me is that Inapod is an extension of Punzel - imagining maybe it's what you would see if you flipped over Punzel or cut it open? Kinda cool or my imagination gone wild ;>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never thought of it that way...that's a fascinating way to look at it. Let that imagination roam free, and keep sharing with us where it goes!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful tile, Amy-'chele! Love the composition and how Punzel seems to be floating on top. Excellent shading too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your punzel is amazing, sanibelle is a perfect companion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty tile, Amy-'chele! Very imaginative and the Inapod and Punzel work so well with Sanibelle. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this makes quite a lovely statement. Your tangle choices all work beautifully together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very impressed with your Punzel. I have a hard time making it turn corners. This tile is quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everyone! It's funny that Sanibelle intimidates me even more than Punzel(!). I forgot to mention that I also used the tortillon to blend the shadows...what a difference a rolled up little piece of paper can make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your punzel is very impressive! Love that you combined punzel and inapod with sanibelle - not a combination that I would have thought of, but they work so well together! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honk, Honk! Ha, yes, linked over from the challenge list.
    Your tile is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for honking! I wondered if anyone would! :-)

      Delete
  10. Your Sanibelle looks great...but the punzel is unbelievable!! Lovely tile!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great combination of tangles. They work all work so well together. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful tile! I think you did a marvelous job! Very pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooo! Sanibel is one of my faves. Very organic and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Deb & Molly Bee!
    The link from the Diva's Challenge #72 is a mistake, however...I really don't know how I ended up linking it to the Crescent Moon challenge!
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete